Red-necked Phalaropes near Bay Trail and Pt Isabel

Claude Lyneis

I was out on the Bay Trail around 11:30 today and saw two birders with scopes looking at the pond that sits just North of the S51 st path.  The pond is  fenced off and barely visible from the trail.  The birder from Marin pointed out there were a couple of Red-necked Phalaropes near the far side of the pond.  Through my Nikon I could see them as they swam in swirling circles.  They were too distant to see clearly, but he was certain.  I took a number of photos and they are consistent with his ID, if not convincing.

From my photos it looks like a non-breeding Red-necked Phalarope.