Topics

Red-breasted nuthatches in Fremont backyard

bagifford1@...

I have a few Red-breasted nuthatches visiting my backyard bird feeder every day near the BART station in Fremont. I don't remember seeing them before but I'm recently retired so I have more time to observe my yard. They are very bold, climbing up and down a tree, and will land with me only a few feet away. Any other sightings? Thanks!

Preston Mui

Here in Central Berkeley I have started seeing them at the feeder since August 26th (although I have heard them in the neighborhood frequently beforehand). Unlike the house finches and chickadees and other feeder birds, who I see a steady stream of, the red-breasted nuthatches appear very frequently on some days and then not at all for the days in between.