Topics

Red-breasted Nuthatch - Antloch yard - 9/29

Paul Schorr

For the past week Nancy has heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch infrequently calling from our neighbor’s redwood trees and she would alert me, but the bird(s) ceased vocalizing when I listened. (I tried very hard not to take it personally.) However, this morning one appeared in our yard and we had excellent views as it foraged.

Good birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch

rfs_berkeley

Other state listservs like Central Valley and Monterey Bay have been reporting unusual numbers of Red-breasted Nuthatches.  The Oregon listserv likewise.
Here in the East Bay we have resident breeders and hearing them is not so unusual. But in recent times I've seen and heard RBNs well out of habitat; like the Eucalyptus woodland of Point Pinole (no conifers for miles), the Oak/Bay woodland of Briones Reservoir and in the Richmond Hills.

 Rusty Scalf