Raven Family at Redwood Regional Park

Hilary Powers

This morning I headed out to try to see the Pileated Woodpecker (failed, but maybe heard him foraging). In the first field past the last parking lot were two adult Common Ravens and two juveniles, hanging out in the branches and chasing each other around the lawns, and teaching me a new thing: juvie ravens have red gapes, and the insides of their beaks are also brilliant blood red. The adults' beaks are as black inside as out - I got good looks as they panted in the heat - but the babies, wow.

~            Hilary Powers - Hilary@... - Oakland CA          ~
~  www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~     Now a member of the the Oakland Cottage Industry Collective!    ~
~         Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures        ~

kkramerdc

EmojiEmoji

Karen at kkramerdc@...