raptor fledglings

Bruce Mast

It's that time of year. Yesterday on my walk through Piedmont, I had two fledgling Cooper's Hawk circling overhead above Wildwood Elementary School. Coops have nested in recent years in the ravine behind the school. In recent days, what has sounded like a fledgling Red-shouldered Hawk has been making a ruckus in the neighborhood, as if its parents have stopped feeding it. Yesterday I confirmed a fledgling Red-shouldered begging from the big oak in our backyard. Today there were at least 2, maybe 3 birds. All of this is particularly remarkable to me because our neighborhood is thick with Crows. No Red-tailed Hawk or Raven dares set feather in our air space.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland (Rose Garden neighborhood)