Topics

Pt. Richmond - weird tanager?

Melani King

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I’m not sure my first post went through.

This morning while birding in my neighborhood I observed what I first believed to be a Western Tanager but upon viewing my very poor photos the bill size looked quite slender to me, more like a Hooded Oriole. The bird today had a dark tail which diagnostically matches a tanager. Also, the bill shows some fleshy/orange color and there is a very pale eye-ring. The head is dark but that could just be the lighting.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has a different identification for this. My eBird report is here:

Thanks,
Melani King
Pt. Richmond