Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet

Melani King

Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191

Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!

-Melani King
Pt. Richmond

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani@king2d3d.com> wrote:

Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191

Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!

-Melani King
Pt. Richmond

Marianna Ford

I live close to downtown Walnut Creek and have seen several Hermit Thrush in my yard and neighborhood for the first time. Another neighbor posted pictures of baby hummers she has in her yard now. I was surprised they were nesting so early.

Marianna

On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Hey all , hermit thrushes DO nest in the Bay Area, at higher elevations in the Santa Cruz mountains, mount tam etc but this isn’t until summer. This bird has some ruffled feathers and the high resolution reveals good detail on the bill but I don’t think this looks like a recently fledged bird.
Dominik

On Mar 21, 2021, at 15:58, Marianna Ford <Mford0121@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

mbstern2

Hi Melani and Lawrence,

I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at  that time.
    At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Maury Stern

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo@...> wrote:

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc.  don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani@...> wrote:
>
> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>
> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>
> -Melani King
> Pt. Richmond

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Thank you very much, Maurey.  Seeing the hermit thrush in Albany and in my backyard was quite a pleasure.  There is a creek near us, somewhat "urbanized", but it does have a number of free-flowing sections with underbrush, trees, etc.   Before some houses were built near it in the late 70s, it was quite a place for bird life.  It is possible that the thrush flew over from there.  This thrush was a classic beauty in color and with a breast with great spots.  Lovely.
Lawrence

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 9:38 PM mbstern2@... <mbstern2@...> wrote:
Hi Melani and Lawrence,

I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at  that time.
    At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Maury Stern

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo@...> wrote:

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc.  don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani@...> wrote:
>
> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>
> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>
> -Melani King
> Pt. Richmond

Rosemary Johnson

First spotted a hermit thrush on the adjacent hillside a couple winter ago. I was thrilled by this sighting,  Last winter, a few more sightings.  This winter, I see the bird almost every day. I'm very pleased that it has decided that this hill is its winter home.

Rosemary Johnson
Hercules

On 03/21/2021 9:38 PM mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2@...> wrote:

Hi Melani and Lawrence,

I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at  that time.
    At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Maury Stern

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo@...> wrote:

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc.  don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King < melani@...> wrote:
>
> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>
> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>
> -Melani King
> Pt. Richmond

Melani King

Thanks all for the feedback about nesting Hermit Thrushes in the Bay Area. Good to know. After more consideration I agree with Dominik that this is not a recently fledged bird. It is just way too early for that to be feasible and am just going to accept that this bird is an anomaly.

-Melani King