Topics

PSP

Ethan Monk

Hi all,

Had an extra hour or so of free time today, so I headed down to Point San Pablo for an hour (and forgot a scope) 12-1. There wasn’t much of note and my coverage wasn’t very thorough. At whatever bend in the road it was at the last 2 years, I thought I heard the Winter Wren trill once but I am not 100% certain. It was far away and didn’t call again. Generally it is more vocal early-mid morning, so if it is continuing, that’s when I recommend going.

As well, there seems to be a young herring run forming off the top of the Point, visible from the marina? Gull numbers were quite low but looked mostly pale-mantled. Many diving ducks (600 hundred plus scaup) were clustered in black amoebas. Still kicking myself I forgot a scope. It’s still a little early to know if this is a herring spawn event, but any concentration of this size is worth monitoring for Long-tailed Duck and such.

And of very very local interest there was a Golden-crowned Kinglet or two at the county park. A Hutton’s vireo or two seem to have set up shop there as well. Maybe they’re spreading? And no Allen’s yet.

Ethan