Problematic ID Lincoln's Sparrow at Pacific Commons 2021-03-04

David Yeamans

In this checklist    https://ebird.org/checklist/S82749997     I included two photos of a sparrow I have called Lincoln's sparrow. It could be mistaken for a swamp sparrow given that Sibley says the two as immatures are nearly indistinguishable from one another. The other option I considered and rejected was white-throated sparrow. I'm seeking opinions. Offline responses are welcome.

dy

Teale Fristoe

Dave,

This bird looks great for a Swamp Sparrow to me. Nice find!

Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 6:50 PM David Yeamans <davidralphyeamans@...> wrote:
In this checklist    https://ebird.org/checklist/S82749997     I included two photos of a sparrow I have called Lincoln's sparrow. It could be mistaken for a swamp sparrow given that Sibley says the two as immatures are nearly indistinguishable from one another. The other option I considered and rejected was white-throated sparrow. I'm seeking opinions. Offline responses are welcome.

dy

Alexander Henry

That’s a Swamp Sparrow! Great bird! (Though maybe not quite as good as that Vesper you found at Mines Road?)

Great Common Gallinule shot too.

--
Alex Henry

Alvaro Jaramillo

David

   That is a Swamp Sparrow, the really rusty wings, bold triangular post ocular, and lack of crisp streaking below seal the ID. The two species are very similar as juveniles, but that only lasts for a very short time after fledging. At this time of year they are readily separable. Nice find!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com