Topics

Prairie Merlin, San Ramon

Ethan Monk

A quick note that this evening a Prairie Merlin flew over Canyon Lakes Golf Course in San Ramon. This is my first in Contra Costa and is surprisingly not flagged. The powder blue back and orange streaking offset against a clean, white breast were giveaways. Probably one of the coolest raptor experiences that I've had in the county. I don't know if you are allowed to bird on the golf course, so I normally don't carry my camera, thus no photos. Hopefully the bird will overwinter locally. Also, the few Slate-col. Fox Sparrows that winter at this site have not returned yet.

Good birding,
Ethan