Possible Black-chinned Sparrow at Sibley

Douglas Vaughan

On a Mothers’ Day hike at Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, my wife got a brief but fairly good look at a bird she believes was a Black-chinned Sparrow. I did not get my binoculars on it, nor did we hear it sing. Worth a look if you’re in the area. Before it flew to the south, the bird was in the stand of Queen Anne’s Lace(?) around the paved switchbacks near the top of Quarry Road. This species was seen here just about a year ago.

Doug Vaughan
Berkeley

rfs_berkeley

Check out this May 12, 2018 GGAS field trip list to Sibley.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S45604857

Photos are by John Missing & Ken Wahl (credited if you click on one).

Would be cool if these guys would stick around, but I think they like Chamise.

---
Rusty Scalf

On 2021-05-09 17:06, Douglas Vaughan wrote:

On a Mothers' Day hike at Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, my wife got a brief but fairly good look at a bird she believes was a Black-chinned Sparrow. I did not get my binoculars on it, nor did we hear it sing. Worth a look if you're in the area. Before it flew to the south, the bird was in the stand of Queen Anne's Lace(?) around the paved switchbacks near the top of Quarry Road. This species was seen here just about a year ago.

Doug Vaughan
Berkeley

Alan Howe

Hi all.

FWIW, as Trish Powell & I covered Sibley for the Christmas in May Bird Count on Saturday, we recorded a black chinned. I can't remember the exact location, though I think it was closer to Round Top--on the loop trail?

Peace,

Alan Howe
North Oakland