Point Blue Shorebird Survey--Point Pinole

rosita94598

Two of us surveyed the west side of Point Pinole from the parking lot to the fishing pier today; it is the annual Point Blue SF Bay shorebird survey.  Along this stretch we had 7 Killdeer, 6 Spotted Sandpipers and 101 Least Sandpipers.

We later drove to the Dotson Family Marsh parking lot and walked almost to the end of what seems to be Cordgrass Jetty.  This was my first visit to this location.  There were more shorebirds here including plenty of Dunlins, Black-bellied Plovers and Greater Yellowlegs.  This was well outside the three-hour window of the survey period.

We would very much have liked to see and count the recently reported Snowy Plovers, but we do not know where is the "usual place."

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek