Topics

Pintail hybrid at Elsie Roemer

David Yeamans

On this checklist https://ebird.org/checklist/S77400590 there are photos of a pintail hybrid. I initially called it NOPI x AMWI, but I think a better match might be shoveller. I'm looking for advice and comment on this interesting bird.

This bird was basically a male pintail by plumage except for rusty sides and spotted neck. The behavior wasn't like all the surrounding pintails that were characteristically floating and dabbling. This individual was actively mucking in the grasses and such well above high water mark. It rarely pulled its head out for a view. That sounds more like shoveller behavior than wigeon. Seeking opinions.

Dave Yeamans

That is best for us which is best for our souls. [Matthew Henry]

David Yeamans

The educated opinions are that the odd duck is a plain old northern pintail albeit outside the norm of behavior and maturity of its nearby companions. I have changed my checklist accordingly. Thank you Alvaro, Alex, and Joseph.

Dave Yeamans