Topics

Pink-footed Shearwater!

Morris Gevirtz

Dear Birders,

I most definitely saw a (very sad-looking) Pink-footed Shearwater in the Berkeley Marina a few minutes ago. He/she was paddling along by my boat, occasionally feebly peking at a thing or two in the water.

Have there ever been reports of PF Shearwaters in the bay? Much less in a marina?

Adrian Hinkle

Wow, interesting! Is that in the harbor area? I scanned off point Isabel this morning but didn't see any storm blown birds. Could we worth looking for tubenoses and kittiwakes over the next few days though. I think there are a few shearwater reports from the East Bay (as in once a decade or so), but definitely extremely rare.

Best,

Adrian Hinkle
Berkeley

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020, 8:16 PM Morris Gevirtz <moegev@...> wrote:
Dear Birders,

I most definitely saw a (very sad-looking) Pink-footed Shearwater in the Berkeley Marina a few minutes ago. He/she was paddling along by my boat, occasionally feebly peking at a thing or two in the water.

Have there ever been reports of PF Shearwaters in the bay? Much less in a marina?

Steven Hunter

There are records in eBird off north beach in SF in 2017 and 2019, and a sighting off the San Leandro Marina last year.

The species sighting tool at eBird is helpful:

-Steve Hunter

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 08:51:45 PM PDT, Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@...> wrote:

Wow, interesting! Is that in the harbor area? I scanned off point Isabel this morning but didn't see any storm blown birds. Could we worth looking for tubenoses and kittiwakes over the next few days though. I think there are a few shearwater reports from the East Bay (as in once a decade or so), but definitely extremely rare.

Best,

Adrian Hinkle
Berkeley

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020, 8:16 PM Morris Gevirtz <moegev@...> wrote:
Dear Birders,

I most definitely saw a (very sad-looking) Pink-footed Shearwater in the Berkeley Marina a few minutes ago. He/she was paddling along by my boat, occasionally feebly peking at a thing or two in the water.

Have there ever been reports of PF Shearwaters in the bay? Much less in a marina?

EBB-Archivist

Edited

A search of the EBB Archives shows pre-eBird sightings of Sooties off Berkeley in Sept 2001, and Steve Glover scoped an unidentified "dark" shearwater in Feb 2001 from Point Isabel in Richmond, which appeared to be the first Contra Costa shearwater sighting.

Bob Richmond

Morris

The first Pink-footed Shearwater record in Alameda County was of one found dead along the road between Irvington (now part of Fremont) and Haywards (now called Hayward) in July of 1905 by W. Otto Emerson. The specimen is still at California of Science. The next record in Alameda County was October 18, 2018. I saw it over S. F. Bay west of the San Leandro Marina. It was seen several hours later over S. F. Bay from Ballena Bay Boulevard by John Luther. I know of no Contra Costa County records.

Bob Richmond

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 8:16 PM, Morris Gevirtz
<moegev@...> wrote:
Dear Birders,

I most definitely saw a (very sad-looking) Pink-footed Shearwater in the Berkeley Marina a few minutes ago. He/she was paddling along by my boat, occasionally feebly peking at a thing or two in the water.

Have there ever been reports of PF Shearwaters in the bay? Much less in a marina?

Aaron Maizlish

This is a great sighting!  And as Bob Richmond says, a likely third record (second modern record) for Alameda County.  It is somewhat unseasonal for Pink-footed Shearwaters, however I’m pleased to report that I saw one today from the Pacifica Municipal Pier in Pacifica (San Mateo County).  My bird was considerable far offshore, but identifiable with binoculars.  I mention this just to provide some circumstantial evidence that there is a population of them around right now that are being blown in by this storm.   Morris, was your sighting inside the Marina (around the Boats) or outside the Marina toward the breakwaters/pier, and if so, how far from shore?  Hopefully the bird will survive the night and be refound by others tomorrow.

Thanks,

Aaron Maizlish

<moegev@...> wrote:
Dear Birders,

I most definitely saw a (very sad-looking) Pink-footed Shearwater in the Berkeley Marina a few minutes ago. He/she was paddling along by my boat, occasionally feebly peking at a thing or two in the water.

Have there ever been reports of PF Shearwaters in the bay? Much less in a marina?

Adrian Hinkle

No tubenoses yet this morning. One Glaucous Gull flew through early.

Adrian

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020, 11:06 PM EBB-Archivist <support@...> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Clarification.]