Topics

Pine Siskins in Berkeley

Judith Dunham

Today, 11/20, and each day since last Sunday, one or two Pine Siskins have visited our nyjer thistle feeder for some time in the afternoon. We are about a half mile south of the UC campus and between Shattuck and Telegraph Avenues. Siskins went missing last year, but given appearance of Red-breasted Nuthatches and Red Crossbills in numbers around the Bay Area, this year may be different.

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA

John Luther

I have had 40 to 60 Pine Siskins at my feeders in the Oakland Hills on the south side of Shepherd Canyon for about a month now.  They love the regular no mess bird seed as do the Red-breasted and Pygmy nuthatches.  I do not have any nyjer thistle feeders.   Only one White-throated Sparrow so far this year in the Fox and Golden-crowned sparrow flock.
John LutherOakland