Pine Siskin salmonella

Cal Walters

Forwarding a report from CV birding recommending that you remove feeders and empty bird baths due to an outbreak of salmonella amongst pine siskins. I had a dead one in my yard in Piedmont  yesterday.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/recent-avian-disease-outbreak-prompts-cdfw-to-ask-publics-help-in-preventing-and-reporting-bird-deaths/

Cal Walters

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Thanks!  I’d heard about this through Neighborhood Watch and took down my feeder to soak and wash and dry out for several days.  Also, we kept up with regular cleaning out of fallen seed and husks below it.

On another note, I’m glad I have not noticed any signs of eye disease among finches this year.

Lawrence (Albany)