Pileated Woodpeckers at Redwood Regional Park

Lee Friedman

If the stars align, this may be an unusual opportunity to quietly watch a pair nest and breed. The first report of a Pileated Woodpecker in the vicinity of the current nest building was April 8 by Tommy Hekl, and then on April 16 Elizabeth and Gabriel Olin reported a pair on the snag where the cavity nest is now being dug out (digging first observed by James Watts Jr. on April 19). It would be great for future observers to report any progress that that they see. For example, so far it has been the male doing most of the construction. Nest construction usually takes 3-6 weeks, with the female increasingly working on it as it nears completion. So it would be great to know if observers are seeing the male (red malar stripe) or female (no red malar stripe). Construction should be completed during May, followed by about three to four weeks to lay the eggs and incubate them, and then about one month as the hatchlings are raised to fledglings.

For those who may find this of interest, I have posted a series of 6 photos that show interesting moments by the male during his construction on April 28. These include views of the smooth inside of the hole, how the male expels the wood chips during his digging, and his concern for any nearby hawks. The photos with explanatory captions may be seen here (on most devices, click on the first and then click on the successive right arrows):

Good birding all,
Lee Friedman

Alan Howe

Hi, all.

The male PIWO showed up around noon today (Friday, 4/30), much to the delight of those who'd been waiting & waiting @ Trail's End. We heard him call loudly up the hill just before he landed in a couple nearby trees, then moved to the snag & got to work. He seemed little bothered by all the humans staring @ him & didn't even seem to react to a loud dog bark. Most of us left after good long looks & tons of photo attempts, so I don't know how long the bird stayed.

One person in the group thought he heard another PIWO call in the distance. All I heard @ that time seemed to be jays, but my hearing isn't always the greatest, even with hearing aids.)

It was a gorgeous morning & the hike would have been plenty rewarding even if the woodpecker hadn't shown up.

Peace,

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 10:29 PM Lee Friedman <lfried6@...> wrote:
If the stars align, this may be an unusual opportunity to quietly watch a pair nest and breed. The first report of a Pileated Woodpecker in the vicinity of the current nest building was April 8 by Tommy Hekl, and then on April 16 Elizabeth and Gabriel Olin reported a pair on the snag where the cavity nest is now being dug out (digging first observed by James Watts Jr. on April 19). It would be great for future observers to report any progress that that they see. For example, so far it has been the male doing most of the construction. Nest construction usually takes 3-6 weeks, with the female increasingly working on it as it nears completion. So it would be great to know if observers are seeing the male (red malar stripe) or female (no red malar stripe). Construction should be completed during May, followed by about three to four weeks to lay the eggs and incubate them, and then about one month as the hatchlings are raised to fledglings.

For those who may find this of interest, I have posted a series of 6 photos that show interesting moments by the male during his construction on April 28. These include views of the smooth inside of the hole, how the male expels the wood chips during his digging, and his concern for any nearby hawks. The photos with explanatory captions may be seen here (on most devices, click on the first and then click on the successive right arrows):

Good birding all,
Lee Friedman