Topics

Pileated Woodpecker - Upper San Leandro Reservoir

Annie Vargas

Yesterday was a beautiful day to bird the Upper San Leandro Reservoir /
Valley Vista Staging Area. At about noon I spotted a Pileated Woodpecker in
a grove of mixed oak and eucalyptus trees while tracking another bird with
my binocs through some oak trees. The PW was neither vocalizing nor
tapping, but I made a surprised vocalization of my own when I saw it that
unfortunately startled the bird, and it flew before I could take a picture.

I wanted to post the sighting here in case anyone plans to bird or hike
that area in the days to come. From the gate in the Valley Vista parking
lot, turn left and head down the trail a short distance toward the
reservoir. Take the left fork in the path, and just past the curve there
will be a small grove of oak/eucalyptus trees on the left. The PW was in
the middle of the second oak on the left.

There was also a juvenile Cooper's Hawk and White-tailed kite in the same
grove.

I have never seen the reservoir so full of ducks (wood, hooded mergansers,
wigeons, scaups, buffleheads, ruddy, shovelers, ring-necked, to name some),
herons (great blue, green), cormorants (double crested), coots, grebes
(eared, pied-billed), egrets (great, snowy), kingfisher (belted), and even
a white pelican. I have seen ospreys there in the past, but not yesterday.
All were vocalizing and feeding throughout the afternoon.

I also observed for the first time a belted kingfisher feeding by rapidly
fluttering its wings above the water to sustain itself, and then plunge
diving. Very cool.

The "usual suspects" also were present in great numbers, including
ruby-crowned kinglets, yellow-rumped warblers, wrentits, wrens (mostly
Bewicks), phoebes (Says and black), chickadees, white-crowned sparrows.
Black-crowned night heron and red-shouldered hawk were visible from the
little bridge just past the aforementioned grove.

Happy birding,

Annie Vargas

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail
message and any
attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The
information may also
be confidential and/or legally privileged. This
transmission is sent for
the sole purpose of delivery to the intended
recipient. If you have
received this transmission in error, any use,
reproduction, or
dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If
you are not
the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by
reply
e-mail and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

E-mail is
covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC SS
2510-2521
and is legally privileged.

Annie Vargas

Just a reminder that the Valley Vista Staging Area of Upper San Leandro
Reservoir requires an EBMUD permit.