Topics

Pileated Woodpecker - Joaquin Miller Park

scflef@...

Around 2:00 today, Karen Marcus and I had a Pileated Woodpecker near Sequoia Arena in Joaquin Miller Park. We first found the bird foraging in the shadows of downed trees and stumps near the trail marker for "Sequoia-Bayview". It then flew, calling, to a very tall tree in the middle of the big round lawn area. It perched vertically on the tree trunk displaying in profile the distinctive head shape and color. Over the next half hour the bird flew from tree to tree, farther and farther from us until we lost it.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont