Pileated Woodpecker at Redwood RP

Travis Hails

Yesterday(1/21/21) about 10:00AM we saw and heard a male Pileated Woodpecker.

We were on the Stream Trail between the Orchard picnic area and the bridge over Redwood Creek before the Fern Dell group area. The woodpecker flew into the upper parts of some large, deciduous trees in an otherwise open area. It tried 3 locations in the tree for about 20 seconds each before flying off. It left going directly upstream above the stream.

The bird was continuously vocal, but not the "Flicker like" call usually associated with this species. It was more a random 'talking', as ravens sometimes do.

Never saw or heard the bird again.

When we had arrived in the park, we parked in the second parking area along entrance road (opposite Wayside picnic area). As I exited the car, I heard the call of the Pileated Woodpecker, but self-denied it and assumed a Flicker. The sound came from far up the hill from the SW. Only mention this as it may help define the bird's range.

Travis Hails