Pileated Woodpecker and other woodland goodies at Joaquin Miller Regional Park

Philip Georgakakos

Hi East Bay Birders,

I had a pleasant morning walking around Joaquin Miller Regional Park. Around 8:15 I heard a male Pileated Woodpecker calling off sunset loop. I tracked it down, and through some pretty dense veg, watched it hammer away at a few dead pines for around 30 minutes. it moved around quite a bit, but in the early am was very vocal. If you do go looking for this handsome fellow, please don’t use playback to agitate him. Let’s encourage these rare bay area breeders to set up territories in the area.

Other goodies included around 30 Varied Thrushes in 2.5 miles, the densest I’ve seen them in East Bay. Also, lost of Golden-crowned Kinglets,  Pine Siskins, and Pacific Wrens. Full checklist with a few photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S78808130

For those of you looking for a break from ducks and shorebirds I’d suggest checking out Joaquin Miller. Seems like its an underbirded spot. If you do visit, it’s worth shooting for a weekday. The park gets pretty packed with single-track mountain bikers later in the day and on weekends. There are a few trails that bikes aren’t allowed on, and I usually stick to those.

Phil Georgakakos
Oakland