Topics

Photos on EBB Yahoo website

Len Blumin

Pleased to see EBB migrated to Yahoo. I'm wondering about the EBB policy, if any, regarding posting of photos on EBB.

Sometimes we capture a bird of interest that others might enjoy. One way to post on YahooGroups sites is to attach a web-sized JPEG to the initial posting. These photos can be viewed and/or downloaded by those receiving individual emails from EBB, but these photos will not be archived on the EBB site unless a companion Google site has been set up.

A second way to post photos is to navigate to the EBB site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EBB_Sightings/), then click on "Photos" in the box on the left, then "Create Album", "Add Photos", etc. You will be uploading photos to the album you have created. For example, I just created an album titled "Albany Bulb Hummers", and uploaded 3 photos as a test.

A third method to include a photo is the more traditional method, i.e. for the photographer to upload the image to his/her own photo website and provide a link in the posting. This generally works well, especially if hotlinks are permitted (I believe the old EBB Sightings did not permit HTML or hotlinks, but not sure).

Cheers, Len Blumin

Glen Tepke

I would support allowing photo attachments on the EBB list (the first method in Len's post), but most birding lists do not allow attachments, and rely on the second and third methods for sharing photos. I think the main reason most birding lists do not allow attachments is fear that attachments will transmit viruses. However, jpeg, the normal file format for photos on the internet, is not a virus-friendly format - as far as I know, no viruses have been created that can be transmitted by jpegs. Len and I belong to another Yahoo group, Birds-pix, an international list for sharing bird photos, which allows attachments. I have received several, sometimes dozens, of attached photos in my email box every day for the last eight years and have never had a virus come through via Birds-pix.

A significant drawback to attaching photos is that Yahoo does not archive attachments, so EBB subscribers who view posts on the Yahoo website rather than receiving individual emails in their mailbox will not be able to see the photos.

One drawback to using the photo folders on the group's Yahoo home page (Len's second method) is that Yahoo limits the size of photos that can be uploaded, so if you upload a large, high-resolution photo, Yahoo will compress it and reduce the quality, which is pretty aggravating if you value high-quality photos.

A drawback to using links to photos on another website (Len's third method) is that it requires a website where you can post your photos, which casual bird photographers may not have. But most of the popular photo-sharing sites like Pbase and Flickr offer free accounts with limited functionality, so this drawback can be overcome with a little effort.

Glen Tepke
Oakland
www.pbase.com/gtepke