Topics

Phainopeplas Mt Diablo Perkins canyon area

Alan Bade

On a midday walk off of the Morgan Territory Rd we were surprised to see at least 6 Phainopeplas in the Valley oaks here; 37.896756, -121.873578. (Ebird seemed to think that number is unusual, as it made me comment, but perhaps it's not unusual for the area?) There could have been more, but we saw at least 6 in flight at the same time. Both males and females or juveniles. Lark sparrows, Bullocks Orioles and a western Kingbird were also nice. ebird checklist here; https://ebird.org/checklist/S68048424. Only saw two other people on the trail.

Good birding,
Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill