Phainopepla and Buckeyes - Black Diamond Mines

Jim Chiropolos

I biked and birded the west half of Black Diamond Mines today looking for warblers - I found one - a Wilsons. I did see seven Phainopepla - before starting - I would have guessed I would have seen seven warblers or more for every Phainopepla. I think that weird ratio shows how odd a migration year in the east bay it has been for warblers. Multiple trips to Diablo, Black Diamond Mines, Sunol, the Berkeley hills and my home, a former hot spot, has revealed no warbler flocks this year.

Another interesting finding was in Black Diamond Mines, the California Buckeye leaves have already turned yellow and many leaves have already dropped, as these deciduous trees drop their leaves in drought. That this process started in April is another sign of how plants are adapting to the drought. No bugs or caterpillars on these trees left for birds to glean....

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda

Edward Vine

Regarding trees and drought, read this article - looks like a bad year ahead: