Partial leucistic junco

Stephen T Bird

An hour needed occupying on the Cal campus, so borrowed a pair of lab nocs and set out. Found a nice partial leucistic oregon dark eyed junco behind Moffit library (north side).
Interestingly, the face markings had near bilateral symmetry. There are likely those among the list serve that will know better than I, but my first thought was that  this would suggest a somewhat-late somatic neural crest mutation. Would enjoy any speculation.

Otherwise either highly unremarkable if looking/listening for unique vagrants or high species counts; or remarkable for sussing out the slow beauty of a place and the movements of species across continents.

Best,
Stephen