Topics

Palm warbler

EBB-Support

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kirk Swenson khswenson@... [EBB_Sightings]" <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...>
Date: January 31, 2019 at 7:33:04 AM HST
To: ebb_sightings <EBB_Sightings@...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Palm Warbler in Emeryville

This morning while walking from the train station to my office I was
surprised to find a Palm Warbler in Doyle Hollis Park at the corner of 62nd
and Doyle. This is the same park at which a Palm Warbler wintered a number
of years ago.

Good birding,
Kirk Swenson
Davis <==> Emeryville

__,_._,___

EBB-Support

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Teale Fristoe fristoe@... [EBB_Sightings]" <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...>
Date: February 1, 2019 at 7:21:19 AM HST
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Re: Palm Warbler in Emeryville

Thanks for the tip Kirk. The Palm Warbler continued at Doyle Hollis Park
when I checked it out this morning, moving between the reeds near the
bathroom and the flowering trees along 62nd St.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

__,_._,___

EBB-Support

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Missing johnmissing64@... [EBB_Sightings]" <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...>
Date: February 1, 2019 at 8:17:57 AM HST
To: "EBB_Sightings-owner@..." <EBB_Sightings-owner@...>
Subject: Palm warbler

Bob Firehock and I saw the palm warbler at the same Emeryville location this morning at about 8:45 AM. It was in the blossoming cherry trees on 62nd Ave.
--
John
917-714-3386

Judith Dunham

Still present at 11 am, working reeds at corner of Hollis and 61st, near taco truck. Thanks, Kirk!

Judith Dunham
Berkeley, CA

rosita94598

I left early today for my union meeting in Oakland, thinking I could find the Palm Warbler in Emeryville in the park at Hollis and 62nd Street.  It did not work in the 1/2-hour or so I had there, 11:20 to maybe 11:50.  I did find Tim Howe and Ed Vine, though.  My list consisted of 4 White-crowned Sparrows, some Rock Pigeons flying past and one Black Phoebe.  Maybe another time . . . .

Hugh B. Harvey

I went back today looking for the Palm Warbler which I missed yesterday.  Though it was the briefest of glimpses, the Palm Warbler was in the bushes near the taco truck at the southwest corner of Doyle Hollis Park.

There is a small triangle of landscaping near the taco truck, the most prominent bush has reddish branches and is hard to miss.  The Palm Warbler moved at the bottom of the bush and I was able to see the bright yellow vent area as the bird disappeared around the bush to the right. It seemed to move behind the bush to the left, but despite my patience in waiting, I never saw more than that.

So I stood in line, bought a drink and walked slowly around the park again before finally heading off.  Other birds seen include an Anna's Hummingbird, two California Towhees, 3-4 White-crowned Sparrows and a few Rock Pigeons.

At least I saw part of it.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

judisierra

Seen today in E-ville at 2. On the ground in the gutter and in a tree at the north east corner of the park. Note literally at the corner. Thanks to another birder who was there watching it when I arrived.

Edward Vine

Not sure if my earlier email got through but will try this.

I saw the Palm Warbler today at 2 pm (continuing bird). In back of restrooms - but better looks at corner of Doyle and 62nd St. - most of the time on ground at base of corner tree but also on street curb and gutter near that tree.

Good birding!

Ed

Tom McGuire <tomario@...>

Hi Everyone,

This morning I got to the park around 8:45 and strolled the pretty landscaped grounds for a few minutes (worried that I had left my car in a street cleaning day zone), but figured . . . this little guy is worth a ticket!

Luckily, I did not get a ticket, and even more fortunate, I actually spotted the bird . . . ! . . . with the help of a young mother in tow with front papoose and binos. She called me over and alerted me to the bird's presence. I managed three photos (none very good) and a 4-second video. (If interested in a glimpse, in case you weren't as fortunate as I to have spotted the bird, google gambolinman + youtube + palm warbler.)

I hope to post a short piece at my blog on this wonderful - wayward? - visitor to Emeryville.

Tom McGuire
Berkeley, CA

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 4:45:17 PM PST, judisierra via Groups.Io <judisierra@...> wrote:

Seen today in E-ville at 2. On the ground in the gutter and in a tree at the north east corner of the park. Note literally at the corner. Thanks to another birder who was there watching it when I arrived.

Teale Fristoe

This afternoon I got lunch at Doyle Hollis Park with a couple of friends and looked for the continuing Palm Warbler. We had a brief view of the bird in a tree along 62nd shortly after we first arrived, around 1:30, but it quickly flew off to the northeast, apparently to the gated parking lot across the street. After lunch, around 2:30, we found it again at the edge of the sedges to the west of the bathroom before it flew back into the trees along 62nd. It was much more cooperative this time and gave good looks for maybe fifteen minutes before it disappeared in a small patch of sedges in the sidewalk. It's quite a beautiful sight when it's in those flowering trees!

Good birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

John H. Maurer

My wife and I managed to arrive while the bird was still in the flowering (prunes?). We had really good views of it for about 10 minutes, until it went around the corner of the sedge. All of us walked over and looked to see if it was on the other side of the patch of sedge or if it would come out, but of course no luck. (It was easy to find. Just look for a group of people with cameras and/or binoculars, all aimed at the same spot.)

John (and Jean)