Oil Spill in Richmond - oiled wildlife contact

Rudyard Wallen

Hey Folks,

I'm sure most of you are aware of the oil spill in Richmond by now.

With the new moon the tides over the next few days are at about eight feet, so hard so say to what degree the spill will move or birds will fly in and out of it.

I'm also sure you're aware that any bird or mammal in distress will be covered with a carcinogenic substance. Though no oiled animals have yet been reported, OWCN (Oiled Wildlife Care Network) has been notified. Anyone observing oiled birds or mammals should not attempt to capture them. If you see an oiled animal, or animal in crisis, please call the OWCN Response Hotline at:

1-877-UCD-OWCN
(1-877-823-6926)

Thanks. The more eyes the better.

Rudy W
SF

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Thanks for the phone numbers, Rudyard.

On Feb 9, 2021, at 10:09 PM, Rudyard Wallen <arelist12@...> wrote:

Hey Folks,

I'm sure most of you are aware of the oil spill in Richmond by now.

With the new moon the tides over the next few days are at about eight feet, so hard so say to what degree the spill will move or birds will fly in and out of it.

I'm also sure you're aware that any bird or mammal in distress will be covered with a carcinogenic substance. Though no oiled animals have yet been reported, OWCN (Oiled Wildlife Care Network) has been notified. Anyone observing oiled birds or mammals should not attempt to capture them. If you see an oiled animal, or animal in crisis, please call the OWCN Response Hotline at:

1-877-UCD-OWCN
(1-877-823-6926)

Thanks. The more eyes the better.

Rudy W
SF

hoggsville

I saw a Northern Pintail yesterday at Albany bulb mudflats that appeared to have oil staining. It wasn't in distress. See pictures here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S80735824

Jack Hayden
Albany

Bryan Flaig

Hi Jack,
I think I saw that same Northern Pintail with the rusty breast and throat on Feb. 2nd at the Albany mudflats, before the oil spill. It was hanging out with Green-winged Teal, so I speculated that it might be some sort of hybrid. I also noticed some coloring on the exposed secondary feathers, blue-black-white, if I remember correctly.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S80345537

Ebird has a page for pintail X green-winged teal hybrids, and some of the photos show similar rusty breast.

https://ebird.org/species/x00725?siteLanguage=hr

Bryan Flaig
Corte Madera

Lorri Gong

Another indication that the spill may have been going on several days before it was discovered.  See iNaturalist post of a California gull I saw in Point Reyes Station that appeared to be oiled.

--

Quote: It is advisable to look from the tidepool to the stars and then back to the tidepool again. ~ John Steinbeck, Sea of Cortez, 1941