Topics

New Yard Bird

Patricia Bacchetti

While visiting at a safe distance with a neighbor, a White-tailed Kite circled high overhead.  I live in the Oakland hills between Rockridge and Montclair, and I've never seen a kite in the area in the 20 years that I've lived here.  On eBird, 1 has recently been seen at nearby Lake Temescal, and several have been seen in the flats of Berkeley recently.

Other birds in my garden include 1 Rufus Hummingbird on his way north, 2 Allen's Hummingbirds who will probably breed in my neighborhood, a family of 3 Anna's Hummingbirds, House Finches and Lesser Goldfinches, large groups of Band-tailed Pigeons (our only native pigeon), Dark-eyed Juncos, and both crowned sparrows.  A couple of Spotted Towhees show up occasionally, and the neighborhood Red-breasted Nuthatch family comes by every few days.  All common residents, but having the time to observe them daily is a treat.

The juncos nest in the neighborhood some years; other years they move up-slope and nest in the higher elevations of the hills.  It will be interesting to see what they do this year-they are still present in my garden.

Best, stay safe and keep your eyes on the sky.

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland

Alan Howe

Kites are periodically seen over Cesar Chavez Park (Berkeley Marina), kiting as they survey all that open grass for rodents, I assume. (Don't know that any show up for the Berkeley Kite Festival in July every year. ;-)  )

Blessed Easter / Passover--& stay safe.

Alan Howe