Topics

Nesting Chestnut-backed Chickadees Livermore (Alameda County), etc.

Mike Feighner

The last week-end of January I placed a small Sierra-type Redwood A-Frame
Birdhouse I had built years ago 19 feet up the Raywood Ash in my front yard.
I have been observing the pair for weeks around my house and the adjacent
areas. They always seemed never to notice the birdhouse. Yesterday one of
the two peeked inside the house for an inspection. This morning the two
were mating on a limb just outside the birdhouse, and just a few minutes ago
this evening one of the two conducted another quick inspection at the
entrance of the birdhouse and then retreated to an outer branch while the
2nd chickadee entered the birdhouse and did not come back out.

About 40 Cedar Waxwings have also been clearing the berries off my hedge the
past two mornings.

Yesterday, I too checked on the Hammond's Flycatcher at Garin Park with Dave
Weber and Ken Wilson and saw no Hammond Flycatcher, instead Bullock's
Oriole, Northern Rough-wing Swallow, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Wilson's
Warbler, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Northern Flicker, Mourning Dove, Western
Scrub Jay, American Robin, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, American
Goldfinch. White-crowned Sparrow. Did anyone else try as well?

--
Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA (Alameda County)