Nesting Brown Creepers

jchiropolos <jchiropolos@...>

While birding in Tilden over the weekend, Derek Heins and I found a brown creeper nest in a large eucalyptus. the nest was located in a vertical split/crack about 1 1/2-inches wide in the trunk about 6-feet off the ground. The creepers had used a constriction in the crack to build their nest which was probably at least 6 inches deep in the tree.

We have also found brown creepers actively feeding on peeling bark areas in the rifle range area in Wildcat also in addition to Tilden also; it appears that creepers have adapted to feed and nest in the eucalyptus.

Blue grey gnatcatchers were also active at the intersection of Laurel Canyon Trail to Nimitz Way.

Jim