nesting activity

rosita94598

Rosita called my attention to the Anna's Hummingbird taking nest material in our patio this afternoon.  She later sent me a photo of a Bushtit doing the same.  Earlier in the week the Lesser Goldfinches were also grabbing nest material, so she had to refill the little metal frame today.

This morning I found a presumed Mallard egg lying on the bare dirt at the bottom of the gravel boat ramp at the large pond in Heather Farm Park.  Usually we see the first ducklings around Easter, which is 3-1/2 weeks away.

The Canada Geese have been going crazy for at least two or three weeks with honking, hissing, pushing, chasing and other aggressive behavior.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek