Topics

Nazca/Masked type Booby in SF Bay now

Aaron Maizlish

Birding folks,

I just received a text from Derek Lecy, a Marin County-birder. At 12:36 PM he photographed a Masked/Nazca Booby “bombing through” the Golden Gate heading into San Francisco Bay. He was standing at Point Cavallo, which is on the Marin side of the gate. Though it’s important to note that all of the Bay waters past the tideline are technically San Francisco County from here. He shared BOC photos that confirm it as a Masked/Nazca Booby. He’s currently trying to refind it somewhere around Alcatraz.

I don’t think there are any records of these species from the East Bay - so wherever it lands is going to be special.

Best of luck to every one!

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco
EBB-Sightings Moderator

Brian Fitch

Adult plumage?
I’m at Battery East and will report promptly if it comes in view.
Brian Fitch

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:49 PM Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists@...> wrote:
Birding folks,

I just received a text from Derek Lecy, a Marin County-birder.   At 12:36 PM he photographed a Masked/Nazca Booby “bombing through” the Golden Gate heading into San Francisco Bay.  He was standing at Point Cavallo, which is on the Marin side of the gate.  Though it’s important to note that all of the Bay waters past the tideline are technically San Francisco County from here.    He shared BOC photos that confirm it as a Masked/Nazca Booby.  He’s currently trying to refind it somewhere around Alcatraz.

I don’t think there are any records of these species from the East Bay - so wherever it lands is going to be special.

Best of luck to every one!

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco
EBB-Sightings Moderator

Alvaro Jaramillo

Hi all,

  I saw the back of camera photos and it looks like a Nazca to me. Thin bill and extensive white on tail from the photo. I could be misrepresenting as it was not the original photo. But yes, it is an adult. I will wait for it to get to Half Moon Bay, soon enough it will figure out where the fishing is good 😊

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

[...]

Derek Lecy

Hi Brian,

Yes, the bird was an adult plumaged individual. I am working on adding my photos (which are distant) to eBird and will post shortly. Feedback thus far has been that it looks more like Nazca than Masked. The bill appeared much more orangish than yellow and the tail seemed to have white in the central rects, but I will admit that this feature was fairly difficult to distinguish at the distance I observed the bird. Thanks and good luck!

Cheers,

Derek Lecy
San Rafael, CA

Derek Lecy

Hi All,

Here is the eBird checklist with four distant photos. What I can say is that in the field the bill seemed much more orangish than yellow. The photos don't help much as you 'll have to zoom in, and I understand this bird may have to remain Masked/Nazca, but here they are regardless. I will update comments as well. Crossing my fingers the bird is still in the bay somewhere out there and can be found.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S71701393

Cheers,

Derek Lecy
San Rafal, CA

Peter Pyle

I agree this looks better for Nazca, especially with the added verbal description of bill color. The amount of white on in the central rectrices (for definitive basic feathers) appears substantial and essentially eliminates Masked Booby. I recently wrote on identifying these in California:
<https://www.birdpop.org/docs/pubs/Pyle_2020_Molt_Age_and_ID_of_MABO_and_NABO.pdf>https://www.birdpop.org/docs/pubs/Pyle_2020_Molt_Age_and_ID_of_MABO_and_NABO.pdf

for those who may want to dig deeper into it.

Good luck to those out there looking!

Peter

At 02:35 PM 7/21/2020, Derek Lecy via groups.io wrote:
Hi All,

Here is the eBird checklist with four distant photos. What I can say is that in the field the bill seemed much more orangish than yellow. The photos don't help much as you 'll have to zoom in, and I understand this bird may have to remain Masked/Nazca, but here they are regardless. I will update comments as well. Crossing my fingers the bird is still in the bay somewhere out there and can be found.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S71701393

Cheers,

Derek Lecy
San Rafal, CA

Aaron Maizlish

Derek,

Thanks for putting this up on eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71701393.  I’m forwarding this to SF-Birds and NBB as well.

At the risk of being pedantic, but you probably saw the bird in San Francisco County, not Marin.  I know you were standing in Marin at the time.

The county line for San Francisco is the mean water line on the Marin side of the Golden Gate from Point Bonita to Point Cavallo.  If the Booby was flying over water then the chances are that it was in San Francisco County - unless you saw it flying over land or to the northeast of the point. I’m attaching a screen shot of the county boundaries here.

Cheers,

Aaron Maizlish