Mute Swans

Lawrence DiCostanzo

This is not in the East Bay, but I went cycling yesterday in Marin. I love to stop by the Laguna on Chileno Valley Road because there are usually a lot of water birds. Yesterday, there was a big accumulation of mute swans. At least 30 to 40. It was hard to count because the Laguna is so broad. I think that these guys find the Sonoma/ Marin border area to be a nice place. But it does show how an introduced species can grow and grow. Last autumn, we saw a group of at least 70 swans all together in a “pack“ at the Laguna. They are, of course, very beautiful to look at.

Lawrence (Albany)