Mt Diablo State Park, Lark Sparrow pair

Bob Hislop

Today I did my periodic "biking and birding" trip up Mt Diablo, starting on Northgate Rd and slowly proceeding to the top. It took most of the day as it's a little awkward to pull out the binocs while on the bike every time I observed (or heard) a bird and there were plenty around. And I birded in both directions as well as stopping in several picnic areas under Oak canopies. The pair of Lark Sparrows at Rocky Pt was my first ever for this species.

So I managed to record the following species list (which does not include several unconfirmed species):

Wilsons Warbler (male)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (male, Audobon variety)
Hutton's Vireo (heard only)
House Wrens (pair)
Anna's Hummingbird (pair)
Western Meadowlarks (in the open field at bottom of mountain)
Ash-throated Flycatcher (2 at different elevations)
Lark Sparrows (pair at Rocky Point picnic area)
Western Bluebirds, several all over
Black Phoebe
American Goldfinchs
Acorn Woodpeckers