Topics

Mt. Diablo south Gate and Summit Roads

rosita94598

After reading about the Black-chinned Sparrow being seen in San Mateo County, I decided to breakout and try South Gate Road on Mt. Diablo. Just below the entry kiosk used to be the place to find them, but it has not worked for years. It did not work today, either. IN fact, it was eerily quiet, though I finally heard a singing Bewick's Wren.

I drove as high as Muir picnic area, where the Red Columbine's are still blooming. No Black-chinned or Bell's Sparrow here, either. They may be around, it just did not work for me.

At Muir I did hear a California Thrasher and also had a House Finch, Lesser Goldfinches, a nice N. Flicker (Red-shafted), both Bewick's and House Wren, and a female Cowbird bird-dogging an Ash-throated Flycatcher.

I stopped a couple of other places on the way down and had Western Bluebird, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Lazuli Bunting, and heard more CA Thrasher, Wrentit and Spotted Towhee. I was home before 11 AM.

Advisories for Mount Diablo State Park may be read here: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=517

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek