Topics

Monday morning in Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek

rosita94598

It was fairly quiet in the park this morning following our very hot weekend.  Lots of scum floating on the surface of both the natural and the concrete ponds.  A few observations of note.

A Great Egret came in and landed on top of the gnarly oak tree just across the Ygnacio Canal on the west side of the large, mostly natural pond.  A Crow did not like that and harassed the Egret for a bit, including flying at it and sitting on an adjacent branch while calling.  The Egret was not phased at all and was still on top of the tree when I left the park.

A Green Heron was in the left corner at the bottom of the gravel boat ramp.  It had a dragonfly, which it was working in the extreme tip of its bill.  At one point it dropped it, then reached down to the water and picked it up.  After a little more moving it around, gulp, down the hatch it went, followed by two sips of water.  It looked like a Common Green Darner from what I see in the Tim Manolis' Dragonflies and Damselflies of California.

Two other observations were the CA Towhee with three Cowbird fledglings, and the fact that I did not hear or see a Black Phoebe.  They must be around, I just missed them.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek