Topics

Monday morning in Heather Farm Park

rosita94598

It is not that we have not continued to check birds in Walnut Creek, but there has not been a reason to report anything special until today.  And even the concept of special is subject to interpretation.  Today we had an adult Black-crowned Night-Heron for the first time in a long while, and as we were walking north on the east side of the large pond, Fred spotted something flying south over the water--a Great Blue Heron.   We have not seen one of them in the park for a long time, either.
Otherwise it was plenty of House Finches, Black Phoebes, both Nuttall's and Downy Woodpeckers making noise or being seen, along with some Barn, Violet-Green and Cliff Swallows.  The latter were over the canal bridge spanning the concrete channel of Walnut Creek below the Seven Hills School.  We often see a Red-shouldered Hawk, Song Sparrows are around the entire pond, the occasional Cal Towhee and usually a family of Bushtits, all of which are the regular population in the park and why there has been not much point in reporting.
Hugh B. Harveyalive and well in Walnut Creek