Mitchell Canyon Highlights

Judith Dunham

Pat Bacchetti and I birded the canyon from shortly before 8:30 this morning until early afternoon. When we were partway down the main trail--scrutinizing a mixed flock of warblers and vireos--we were joined by Mark Rauzon and his wife Suzanne.

The four of us worked the main trail, then Mark recommended a walk up the second trail from the parking lot to look, successfully, for Calliope Hummingbirds, on a hillside blanketed with blooming black sage. The Calliopes, at least two, possibly three individuals, were defending their patches from Ash-throated Flycatchers, Scrub Jays, and Anna's Hummingbirds.

In all, it was a seven-warbler day: Orange-crowned, Nashville, Yellow, Black-throated Gray, Townsend's, Hermit's, and Wilson's. We were treated to especially close looks at Hermit's. And a three- hummingbird day: Anna's, Calliope, and Allen's.

Other highlights:

White-throated Swift
Hammond's Flycatcher
Pacific-Slope Flycatcher
Hutton's Vireo (including one constructing a nest)
Warbling Vireo
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
California Thrasher
Western Tanager