MDAS Trip to Pine Canyon April 10

rosita94598

It was cold and threatening to rain, but a few good birds were found among the 59 species identified this morning. I have been gone for the last week, so was late in joining the group, which was returning along the area just above the dam which holds no water. Some of us paused to view the Hummingbird Sage (Salvia spathacea) and two Mt. Diablo Fairy Lanterns.

As we returned past the dam and reached the intersection with the Shell Ridge Loop Trail, we had a Rufous Hummingbird in the Black Sage on the south-facing hillside. Also present were a visible Wrentit and Hermit Thrush.

Farther into the canyon before I arrived, the group had many views of the Peregrine Falcons, White-throated Swifts, Pacific-slope Flycatchers, along with the many expected species, but they only heard Black-headed Grosbeaks. Only 4 warblers species were identified: Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray and Wilson's.

At or near the Castle Rock picnic area, Bullock's Orioles, Western Bluebirds and one Western Kingbird were present.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek