Topics

McNabney Marsh on Thursday

rosita94598

I spent an hour on the entry road to Mt. View Sanitary today, looking for the continuing Eurasian Teal and Blue-winged Teal(s).  I had no luck with either.  I first stopped at the wooden viewing platform, which gives a pretty good view both north and south along McNabney Marsh.  Then, I walked south toward the very shallow end, which today was largely mudflat.  I saw lots of ducks, mainly N. Shovelers, Green-winged Teals and Gadwalls.  There were also American Wigeons, one Eurasian Wigeon male, Buffleheads and a handful of Common Goldeneyes.  I also saw one male and four female Hooded Mergansers, along with one Cinnamon Teal.
There were lots of gulls out there, too, but I did not spend very much time working on them.  Many of the other expected species were also seen, shorebirds and waders, grackles, Say's Phoebe, etc.  Too many birds, just not enough time.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek