Topics

Look! Up in the air! I'ts . . . a white gull!

Mike Hall

Rising on a thermal, never flapping, with two Red-tails and six Turkey Vultures, over transfer/treatment plant at north edge of Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline early this week. Glaucous-winged? Or something more interesting?
I'm noticing a sort of Swainson's-Hawk-like reverse-keratin light-dark wing pattern, surely confirming that there is little or no grey on the upperwing. The feet look bright red. One odd thing, that I made conscious note of at the time, is that the gull appeared smaller than the Red-tails in the same proportion that the Red-tails looked smaller than the TVs.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMHP6YI4ZQYkKL5dapA2pKWMobGrY2p7Mv_OdSs