Long or Short-billed Dowitcher

Claude Lyneis

Today, out just north of Pt. Isabel I was getting close to photography some of those tiny peeps, but in the process I got some photos of Dowitchers and remembering the earlier post Jim Chiropolos stating that most are short-billed in the bay, I hesitate to ID it as a Long-billed Dowitcher.  Still that is how the iNaturalist artificial intelligence software I.D.s it.  So I leave it to the EBB experts.  Either way since it was not posted to eBird, it won’t upset the bird counts.

Alvaro Jaramillo

Claude

Was it in fresh water? That looks like a Long-billed, because it is on the very long billed side for a dowitcher. Well over 2 head lengths, nearly 3. As well barring on the flanks looks good, but I am not sure how reliable that character is.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

alvaro@...

www.alvarosadventures.com

From: EBB-Sightings@groups.io <EBB-Sightings@groups.io> On Behalf Of Claude Lyneis
Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 8:34 PM
To: East Bay Birds <EBB-Sightings@groups.io>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Long or Short-billed Dowitcher

Today, out just north of Pt. Isabel I was getting close to photography some of those tiny peeps, but in the process I got some photos of Dowitchers and remembering the earlier post Jim Chiropolos stating that most are short-billed in the bay, I hesitate to ID it as a Long-billed Dowitcher.  Still that is how the iNaturalist artificial intelligence software I.D.s it.  So I leave it to the EBB experts.  Either way since it was not posted to eBird, it won’t upset the bird counts.