Topics

Loggerhead Shrike at McLaughlin Park

Claude Lyneis

After reading about the sightings of a Loggerhead Shrike, I took my binoculars and Nikon down to McLaughlin park this afternoon with a vague hope of seeing it.  Amazingly, after 10 minutes of walking the east west trail from the Marina side, it appeared.at 2:44 PM.  More amazing, after spotting it with the binoculars I had time to pull out my Nikon and get several reasonable shots of it.  I was close to the intersection of the east west trail and the north south trail when I spotted it.  It soon flew farther to the south and that was the last I saw fit.

What are the chances of this happening?  Here is the link to the photo on Flickr.   https://flic.kr/p/2kdv8zR

Edward Vine

Thanks for the update.

I went out this morning around 10:30 AM and did not see it. But around 11:30 AM, I came across
two birders who saw it around 9 AM. They pointed to the area where they first saw it, and sure enough,
it was back there. Same area that you had identified. You could easily get close enough to 20 ft. And
it stayed around there for at least 15 minutes, flying back and forth, sometimes perching on the wire fence
and sometimes on a tree branch.

Thanks!

Ed

--