Little bunting??

Lawrence DiCostanzo

Please do not laugh, but is there anyone who has seen or even thinks they have seen a little bunting in the past two weeks in the East Bay? About 10 days ago, there was a small bird at my feeder with very bright red cheeks that were clearly outlined in dark black. This bird was smaller than the usual house or purple finch that I see at the feeder. I was not able to take a picture. The bird was at the feeder for 15 to 20 seconds. I have not seen it again. Perhaps you might have suggestions for what bird it might possibly have been even if you think “little bunting“ is a real stretch. (Please note that these days I am mainly a backyard birder.)

Lawrence in Albany, California