Lewis’s Woodpecker and Western Tanager

Johan Langewis

The Lewis’s Woodpecker continued today at the same location at Valle Vista, seen by a number of birders, as well as non-birders that got a peek through my scope. It moved from one location to another, but not so far to disappear from view (most of the time), remaining at each location long enough to get a good view. After that I continued south along the trail about 50 yards and saw a bright male Western Tanager fly to a pine tree, perch for about 30 seconds, then fly off to the west. eBird didn’t like that sighting, but I’ve seen Western Tanagers here in June in years past.

Johan Langewis
Oakland