Topics

Lesser Yellowlegs at Coyote Hills 4/5/10

George Chrisman

This evening, there were two LESSER YELLOWLEGS in the flooded field north of the entry kiosk at Coyote Hills Regional Park. Both were together and were feeding actively. There was a KILLDEEER alongside them for a good size comparision. There were also 2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS on the south side of the entrance road just past the kiosk.
There was also an AMERICAN BITTERN sitting high in the tules near the corner of the quarry parking lot and the main road. Its golden striped plumage stood out against the green tules in the fading light at the end of the day.

George Chrisman
Burlingame, CA

Ken Schneider

Although I hadn't yet seen George's post when I visited Coyote Hills RP this morning (4/6) before work, from 0615-0750, I also detected several AMERICAN BITTERNS at the park this morning. THREE bitterns were giving their deep "pump-er-lunk" calls from the marsh from about 0640-715, two on either side of Patterson Ranch road just east of the Quarry Staging Area and one called near the entry kiosk. I never saw any of these birds. I also heard at least two VIRGINIA RAILS, but did not hear any Sora or Black Rails this morning. I saw several GREATER YELLOWLEGS, but missed the Lesser Yellowlegs today.

Two COMMON RAVENS were carrying sticks to a crude nest on one of the power towers north of the entrance road and several female RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS were also carrying nesting material. This is a nice time to visit Coyote Hills as the vegetation is quite lush, with dense fields of flowers near Paseo Padre and very green marsh plants.

Ken Schneider

Redwood City