Least Terns Emeryville!

Jim Chiropolos

Today I saw 90 to 100 least terns in Emeryvillle off Powell! This count smashes myprevious high count of 22 and is easily one if the coolest spottings here during my 30 years of working and birding here.

Hopefully this means the breeding colonies in Alameda and Hayward marsh are growing (any breeding colony counters to opine here?)

These birds must be from the Alameda colony. I wonder what food source pulled so many birds maybe six miles or so from their colony.

I like high counts as they may be an indication of a growing population!

Jim Chiropolos
Emervyille and Orinda

Aaron Maizlish

On May 3rd, Eddie Monson and I estimated 80 Least Terns at Elsie Roemer Sanctuary. The actual number could have easily surpassed 100. This smashed the high count for Least Terns that I had ever seen in one place in the Bay Area, and it looks like it’s a higher count than previous years here. I have understand that the Elsie Roemer birds are the colony that breeds at the Alameda Naval Station a couple miles to the west. So I am wondering if this is the same population that you saw in Emeryville today - and if so why they are moving around so much. Or are there multiple large breeding colonies now?

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco