Large number of Brown Pelicans near Pt Isabel

Claude Lyneis

This afternoon about 4 pm there were on the order of a hundred Brown Pelicans just off the Bay Trail near the S51st entrance.  They were also in the “pond” just west of the gas  plant and shuttling back and forth frequently.  Far more Pelicans than Gulls.  After taking off from the pond, some of them would shake off the moisture in flight as shown in the photo below.  This behavior amuses me for some reason.

Edward Vine

There were also about 100 at Albany Bulb, along with 5 Avocets and 20 Clark's Grebes. High tide around 11:30 AM.

Ed

--
Edward Vine

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory