Topics

Lake Merritt brown creepers galore, Saturday, 1/25

Kate Hoffman

On Saturday afternoon, I birded around the Rotary Nature Center and Lakeside Gardens at Lake Merritt. I don't usually check the trees around the marble fountain between the nature center and the gardens, but I saw at least 4 brown creepers on the (possibly dead or dying) trees there. I watched one creeper aggressively fly at another and chase it off one tree, and soon they were both back but foraging different sections of that same tree. Another plus: in the lake a red-breasted merganser near the junior science center just outside the buoys.

Kate Hoffman
Oakland