Lake Anza Jan. 17

rosita94598

I went to the spillway at the Lake Anza dam in Tilden Park early this afternoon, though I did not know exactly where to look for the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker tree.  I crossed the bridge over the spillway and turned downhill slightly on the dirt trail.  A fairly large and open tree had sapsucker holes, some of which looked new.  Lots of people out on the pleasant day, so I moved off the trail and closer to the spillway.  Though I heard Acorn Woodpeckers around, I saw no sapsucker.

In consolation, across the spillway on the slope coming down from the lawn area I watched a beautiful male Varied Thrush picking through the leaf litter.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek